Legend's First Flight

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
Bruin arrived at the Owlery a little out of breath from the long climb and nervously entered the chamber, hoping that Legend had understood his instructions and would be waiting for him there. He hated to think that he had just wasted some of his precious galleons on the Northern Spotted Owl he had selected. Legend seemed like a free-spirit and Bruin would not be surprised if he had just flown off into the horizon, never to be seen or heard from again.

Much to Bruin's surprise, Legend greeted him almost as soon as he passed through the archway. The owl settled on Bruin's outstretched arm and tugged playfully at the cuff of his shirt. Bruin fished into his pocket and dug out a treat for him, which Legend eagerly accepted.

"How would you like to deliver a letter for me?", he asked the owl, looking respectfully into its darkened eyes. Legend tilted his head slightly as if to indicate that he had been patiently awaiting this mission for all of his life. The owl extended a leg and Bruin quickly attached the letter he had written to his distant cousin Shawn. Fortunately, Shawn lived nearby in a little village on the outskirts of Auckland.

Bruin had been told by his parents that Shawn was one of his only known relatives with magical abilities and that he was involved with the Ministry of Magic's Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures (New Zealand Branch). The purpose of his letter was to introduce himself to Shawn and find out if there were any local dragons to be worried about. Perhaps one of the Antipodean Opaleye's that he had read about in Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them lived nearby?

Legend calmly waited until the letter was secured to his leg and then, without another wasted moment, sprang skyward and disappeared into the late morning haze.

Pungahn had just gotten back from work at Magical Menagerie and decided to pay the owlery a visit. she was surprised to find that her first and only customer was there with his newly purchased owl, Legend.

"hello," Pungahn said with a smile to the kind boy. "my name is Pungahn. i am the assistant for Magical Menagerie. did u know that you were my first customer? you seen nice. want to be friends?" Pungahn waited patiently for the response to her friends question.

"Of course..." Bruin said extending his hand, "I'm Bruin Dumbledez from Gryffindor. Thanks again for helping me with Legend, it sure looks like he was the right owl for me" he added as he finished tying the letter to Legend's leg and then gazed out the window to watch Legend disappear into the distance.

"So, are you hear to visit your own owl???"

"actually, i dont own one. i have no wizarding family that i contact at all so i dont need one yet. however i am saving up for a cat. i just came here to see if the owls sold from Magical Menagerie are happy and healthy." she smiled at the charming and polite boy. thinking of how nice a friend he would make. "do you have family who you write to?" that is what she guessed legend was carrying.

"Only a cousin here in New Zealand. That's who Legend has gone to see. I've never met him, but he knew I was coming here this year and told me to contact him when I had settled in. He works for the Ministry of Magic and I figured that the sooner I contact him, the better my chances of getting some help with school work when I need it.

My mom and dad are back in Canada. My dad is a teacher and my mom is a midwife, she specializes in births involving wizarding families...just in case anything odd happens." Bruin's voice trailed off...

"A cat, eh? I'm more of a dog person myself" and he paused momentarily to think about his big old yellow lab Ray who was probably sleeping on his bed back home at this very moment. "I've got one back home and I miss him already...I guess I'll have to wait until Christmas Break to see him.", Bruin started to feel a little homesick and hoped that he didn't appear too sad.

Bruin smiled at Pungahn "Well that was awfully nice of you to come up to check on the owls. So where are you from?"

im from the United States, more specifically Texas. my muggle mother runs a horse farm there and i help her out all the time. i guess thats why i can't sit still too long. she is half Korean from my grandmother and my grandfather was as American as he could get." she giggled at her own comment.

"My father was a Pure blood wizard and an auror. unfortunately he died on the job a few years back." Pungahn had frowned for a moment remembering her father, but she quickly changed the subject.

"have you joined any clubs lately?"

"I'm sorry to hear about your father." Bruin said sincerely.... he paused to make sure he understood how badly he did in fact feel for her.

"Well, I did go the first meeting of the Future Leaders of Magic...I'm still not sure if it's the right fit for me mind you...there are a couple of Slytherins leading it and I've already had a bit of a row with one of them...philosophical differences, I suppose....but I also joined Dumbledore's Army and I know I'm going to love that one, a bunch of people talking about Defense Against the Dark Arts sounds right up my alley...how about yourself?"

i am actually the student leader of the Exploration Club. i created it for those of us who get bored often. would you be interested in joining? we are waiting for a few more members before our first official exploration of a section of the castle.

"I'll keep it in mind...", Bruin replied, ", but I am a little concerned about biting off more than I can chew, and believe me I can chew alot. I'm pretty busy with schoolwork and my job at Gladrags already, and I've got to start putting in some extra time at the Quidditch Pitch if I am going to learn how to fly well enough to try out for a team. Let me sleep on it, okay? Speaking of which, I'm getting a little tired...I think I better get some sleep. Do you have more to do up here or would you like to walk down with me???"

Pungahn looked around at all the content owls. "yes, i think i will join you.... If you want to practice flying, i could use the same. im not quite used to my firebolt yet. perhaps we can meet in the pitch after we finish classes tomorrow?" Pungahn hoped her new friend was starting to warm up to her as she was to him. as far as she could tell, they got along great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back